HISTORY

ASU KARSTEN GOLF COURSE HISTORY

ASU Karsten Golf Course opened September 15, 1989 – thanks to the vision of the Sun Angel Foundation. Instead of using university or tax dollars, the Sun Angel Foundation cobbled together a generous coalition of private donors led by local luminaries such as PING’s Karsten Solheim. The facility is owned by Arizona State University and managed by OB Sports.

Founded in 1947, The Sun Angel Foundation is dedicated to academics and excellence at Arizona State University. Not only did the Sun Angels spearhead the golf course project, they were instrumental in building the Sun Angel Clubhouse, and like the golf course, it was entirely funded through private contributions. ASU Karsten Golf Course is self-sustaining with considerable resources reverting back to ASU to support golf programs and other athletics.

Much of the success enjoyed by ASU’s golf teams stems from the Bob and Karen Hobb’s Player Facility located onsite, which was the predecessor of the Golf Teams Performance Center. This state-of-the-art facility augments game improvement as well as provides a strong recruiting tool to attract top prospects. In fact, ASU’s golf program is the first to win in both Men’s and Women’s NCAA Championship in the same season. And the successes keep piling up.

FAST FACTS

Opened September 15, 1989

Designed by Pete Dye

Owned by Arizona State University

Managed by OB Sports

Only school to win NCAA Men’s and Women’s titles in same year – 1990

TIMELINE OF SUCCESS

1970
2017